Monday, 12 October 2015

Hope Bag - My school holiday project.

I'm back teaching this week, but man, the school holidays were not the relaxing, craft filled experience I had anticipated. Husband and au pair both away on over seas trips meant we got Big Mama in for an extra set of hands to cuddle my two babies who put it on big time having Daddy away.

That being said, I did manage to finish the Tara Rebman Craftsy class 'Quilt as You Go Patchwork Bag' and it was amazing. Tara is incredible and after having her talk to me for so long, I feel like she is my friend! Ah the delusions of media. Aside from the great, transferable techniques Tara teaches, the piece of advice that has made the biggest impact on me is this. If you have fabric you love, use it. We all stash. It's part of quilting. Don't be afraid of ruining larger cuts by taking pieces out - it doesn't matter! 

So this is what I did. I picked some of my favourite fabrics and added some extras to make my bag, and I LOVE it. The bag is made from various quilting cottons with an upholstery fabric on the bottom to make it a little sturdier. Then to finish off this lovely bag, the word Hope has ended up right there on the flap, completely by accident. 

Hope. An interesting concept. And one that is amazingly perfect for my life right now. We've been through the ringer this last 2 1/2 years but have come through. We are on the up and this bag is a lovely representation of the hope I have for the future.

Saturday, 3 October 2015

Hubba Hubba Quilt Follow-Up

I first posted about this cute quilt back at the end of July (see here), but got busy with my special request quilt and working the new school term. Today however, I finally finished it and am ultimately happy with the results.
Seam pressing took forever!

Basically, I cannot believe so much effort went into making such a small quilt. It's about 40 x 60 inches which is fine for its destination, but this sort of fiddly piecing is not something I'm signing up again for in a hurry. I was so disciplined pressing all the seams the right way and 'pin wheeling' the bigger junctions. Despite all this, there are still many puffy seems on the quilt top that made the actual quilting quite difficult.

I chose to do an all over free motion pattern for this one and in hindsight, I think I made things a bit trickier than they needed to be. Given the thickness of some seams, I should have chosen a simpler, more geometric design. That all being said, the hot pink thread I used looks great and really gives the project a lift.

What did work really well on this project was that I was able to use the backing to do the binding due to the relative small size. It meant the binding took no time at all and I used a bit of a decorative stitch to add to the project theme - a quilt for a little girl.