This receipt is adapted from a recipe by Diana Linfoot. I like to use dark chocolate as it complements the sweetness of the muffin. You could also use chocolate chips if you prefer.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cups mashed bananas (I usually use about three)
- 1/2 cup (about 75g) chopped chocolate
- 1 3/4 cups self-raising flour
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- Cream the butter and sugar.
- Add the egg and mashed banana, mix well.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix until a nice light batter forms.
- Place batter evenly into 12 muffin cases and bake for about 20 minutes in a preheated 200 degrees oven.
THINGS I LEARNT: Check and turn the muffins half way. My oven clearly has hotspots and some of the muffins were a little more done than others.
TIPS: Once cooled, freeze individual muffins in small freezer bags. They can then go straight from freezer to lunchbox and will be thawed in time for lunch.